The opioid epidemic which is plaguing the United States is responsible for the deaths of more than 27,000 people each year and the number is continuing to rise. The National Survey on Drug Use and Health reported that in 2015, about 38% of the entire population, or 92 million adults, in the U.S. were prescribed opioid medication such as Percocet or OxyContin. Doctors are overprescribing and many are receiving heavy kickbacks and bonuses from pharmaceutical companies for every prescription they write. This is a dangerous game, as opioids are highly addictive drugs with pose serious health risks. 80% of the global opioid supply is consumed by Americans. The CDC reported that over 1,000 people are treated in emergency departments for misusing prescription opioids each day. Data published by the the American Society for Addiction Medicine (ASAM) have also shown that opioid abuse is prevalent among teens. The report has indicated that the number of opioid prescriptions among teens have nearly doubled between 1994 to 2007. In hospitals, it's common practice to prescribe opiods pain killers after surgery. The patient becomes addicted and before you know it, they graduate to other drugs, becoming an addict for life. There are thousands of cases where teens where given medication for pain in hospitals and thereafter became drug addicts. The data revealed that as many as 276,000 adolescents aged 12 to 17 years old are current non-medical users of pain relief drugs in 2015. Nearly half of these teens have reported being addicted to painkillers, the ASAM data has shown.
7 Amazing Natural Pain Killers
There are ways to relieve pain naturally. What's great is that these natural pain killers also provide much needed vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which not only relieve pain but help us heal faster. Below are 7 Natural Pain Killers:
1) Cayenne Pepper helps alleviate post-operative pain. Its also great for the heart!
2) Turmeric (in combination with black pepper) contains curcumin, an antioxidant which helps relieve pain. Turmeric can be taken as food. Turmeric can also be taken as an extract which has increased potency.
3) Pure Magnesium oil provides quick relief for muscle pain when massaged onto the skin. (if its a little strong it can be dilute with water)
4) Massage Therapy and Music Therapy help to relieve stress and reduce pain.
5) Frankincense essential oil contains anti-inflammatory compounds and can be taken internally in small amounts as well applied to the skin (make sure the oil is for internal use). To dilute the oil mix with coconut oil.
6) Chicken bone broth made fresh contains collagen, minerals, and anti-inflammatory properties which can help arthritis, joint pain, and stomach pain. Recipe: Boil a few chicken legs in a pot of water along with a little salt, black pepper, and turmeric (add turmeric if there are no stomach issues) and then lower the flame to low. After an hour remove the legs from the water and chop in half, so that the bone marrow will seep into the water. (The bone marrow is the most nutritious part of the soup.) Return the chopped chicken legs to the pot and continue to cook on low heat for an additional hour and a half. You don't have to eat all the legs, the most important part is the water which contains the bone marrow. Try to eat all the bone marrow. Drink the soup throughout the day. Make the soup fresh every day or freeze (don't refrigerate for more than 12 hours).
7) Lavender and peppermint oil for headaches. To dilute the oil mix with coconut oil and rub on forehead, neck and shoulders.
8) Homeopathic Arnica is my go-to for pain relief. After an injury or acute pain, I take it a few times a day or more until pain is relieved. (For long term use consult a homeopathic doctor). Arnica oil or cream can be used topically (as long as the skin isn't broken) to relieve arthritis or bruises.